SailNet Community - View Single Post - Got a really good deal at a swap meet this weekend.
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDistantStar View Post
I have a set of 6' oars also and they dont work that great for it. It has such low freeboard that the oars hit my knees if lifted all the way out. The 5' oars work great for it.
Ahhh, looking at the photos I can now see why that would be the case, given the lack of leg room between the center and aft thwart. It's generally a better arrangement when there is enough legroom to get one's legs straight or at least get one's knees lower than the gunnel so they don't interfere with the arc of the oars.

Fortunately there is an easy remedy which is to alter the shape of the center thwart to more closely resemble a top hat in profile, so you could shift your derriere farther forward and get your legs unbent. Depending how much you weigh, you might need a small support knee under the thwart but that is easy too.

You (and kids) would gain the ability to use the longer oars and enjoy the longer sweep and improved speed and tracking. This will make a huge difference if you intend to row any significant distances. But if you expect mostly to motor the dinghy anyway it might not be worth the trouble...

Good score nonetheless!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook