SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mason 33
Thread: Mason 33
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebornstein View Post
I have looked at the PS 34 as well. I am not a huge fan of canoe sterns from an asthetic point of view but I think all three boats (mason, psc, cabo ) are similiar. Eric
I guess I'm one of those rare folks that does like the canoe sterns aesthetically (when done properly). However, I find that in smallish to mid-size boats the lost hull volume is to me not worth the tradeoff neither for the aesthetic nor any other advantages attributed to canoe sterns. [Incidentally, I feel much the same way -- actually even more strongly -- about reverse transoms (with which you not only lose useable hull volume but also valuable deck space).]

Though both Crealock designs, the CR 34 is a foot beamier than the PSC 34, and with the CR34 beam carried well aft toward the stern it makes for a MUCH roomier boat. With the stretch to 36', it's probably significantly more voluminous than a PSC Crealock 37. But the PSC boats have fin rather than full keels, so will probably out-sail the CR in most conditions, though maybe not enough to matter when laden for cruising.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook