SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hughes Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008

lebara is on a distinguished road
Hughes 31 and 38

I own a Hughes 31 and have sailed her for the past six years. This is a solid boat and has pulled me through difficult sailing conditions. My wife and I sail her in just about any codition and that is saying a lot since neither she or I are long time sailors. Our boat has a OMC saildrive, a much discussed topic on pros and cons of this type of motor, and has never let us down when we needed it. When I bought this boat a marine mechanic said " its a two stoke what can possibley go wrong with it". He was right.

The Hughes 31 impressed us so much that we are now planning on buying a Hughes 38. Our grandchildren are getting bigger and we need more room. We had the 38 surveyed and and the result was very positive. The boat is in need of some cosmetic clean up in the interior but is otherwise sound and solid. It has a Volvo Penta diesel saidrive. I like the saidrive system due to its simplicity. No long shafts to bend and seals to leak.

The Hughes line of boats appear to be a good buy. They are solidly built and are affordable. The Hughes 31 we own (for sale now) and 38 we are buying are both 1980 vitage but in many respects are sturdier then some of the new boats.

Last edited by lebara; 02-12-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook