SailNet Community - View Single Post - South (and back) from Vancouver
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008

maxcontax is on a distinguished road
headed south

Dichrome, would you be OK with a second hand account? I have to say I was not there for this:
A 35 ft well provisioned boat with crew of 5 left Sidney for the Panama Canal in the fall. The storms off Oregon nearly ended the trip with seasickness but they pulled thru: error upon postmortem: decision by captain to heave-two in a fin keel boat and ride it out instead of sailing out of it. That was based on a sick and relatively green crew. Standing watches and sleep deprivation was not taken seriously enough

In SanFran one jumped ship, the 4 left went on to San Diego. the boat was then reprovisioned and repaired for the trip south--except every time they got out into the chuck they seem to lose their nerve.

Long story shortened: after a delightful time in sandiego, the boat had its rigging removed and was trucked back to Seattle where it was re-rigged and sailed back to sidney.

Many stories told on this trip: the inexperience of the crew, the lack of leadership of the captain who decided every decision would be by concensus, thereby abdicating his expereinced position by including scared and sick crew, was the largest factor. the boat was solid and came to no harm but the crew is likely all dryland farming by now.

Hoping this cautions you that a few trips around Vancouver Island for practice is time well spent, esp with the crew you intend on taking south. the windy side of the island is a good romp and still nothing like Oregon from all accounts. I have done the island but not Oregon.

maxcontax
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook