SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lightning Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003

maxcontax is on a distinguished road
Lightning Anyone?

I spent the better part of a year studying static electricity and lightning strikes related to protecting metal buildings and steel towers, back in the mid-80''s, so the memory''s fading a bit--but there were a few things that stick in my mind. Firstly the the flukey and erratic, unpredictable nature of a strike: it does not always strike the highest point. It strikes the most charged point. It needs a "leader" from the object up into the charged atmosphere for the discharge to occur: sometimes in a video you see this, a faint leader reaching upwards before the strike downwards. the leader comes from an electrostatic charge or a source. Remove or reduce these and the strike chances are less. I remember at the time that I was doing all this industrial building protection there was a belief that if you ground out something too well, and put up too many lightning rods on a building, you may end up attracting lightning instead of reducing it. That went resolved. Glad no one got hurt. Wish there was a guaranteed recipe for protection. Does anyone try battery jumper cables overboard and clipped to the shrouds? If so, are they alive to tell the tale?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook