SailNet Community - View Single Post - South (and back) from Vancouver
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichromatica View Post
When did you depart? Did you make haste, or take your time?
Did you have a particular destination in mind? How long did it take you to get there?
Surprises? Were you happy with your itinerary? Or do you wish you had done differently?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond,
D
I also thought the first couple responses were a bit depressing. I guess if it is not a bad story then there is no story.....

It is also funny how the first threat is to boot you. How much intolerance can we tolerate?

I have sailed south from Victoria twice. Both times in the same boat which was a large classic ketch. The first time was during a Vic-Maui. We left in late June and a great sail. The weather was a little bad for a couple days of the oregon coast but nobody jumped ship and we dried out pretty quickly once we got down near California. We came back from Hawaii the normal way so we were running with the northwesterlies towards Juan de Fuca. The second trip was a couple years later and we only sailed down as far as northern California then turned around and came back. We left in mid July and were back at the end of July. The trip south was fast but comfortable. Once we turned around we had the wind on the nose and beat/motorsailed into it for 6 days to cover what we had done in less than 3 heading south. Coming north was cold and wet but we expected that. The stop in Hot Springs Cove for a soak made it all worthwhile.

If I was to do it again, I would watch the North Pacific high and leave when it was firmly setup (Late July to September) and ride the NW winds all the way about 200 or so miles offshore. Watch out for northbound shipping.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook