SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom Job / Barrier Coat
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Bottom Job / Barrier Coat

Take a look at www.virginsurfacing.netfirms.com
Put your cursor on the picture of the old Whaler called "WRECKLESS" and you''ll see what kind of job soda blasting does. Sand AIN''T NEVAH the way to go. My daughter started setting up the website and it''s a work in progress. We haven''t even formally started up the business yet. I stripped 22 years of bottom paint(s), hit the topsides, knocked rust off the transom and decks, cleaned the rust off all the hardware and rails, etc. in less than a day the first time I used the machine. I got heavy rust stains out of nonskid so it looks new. I figure a 40'' fin keel boat for a day''s work. You get your strippers, methelyne chloride poisons, grinders, sanders, scrapers and blades and let''s race - and see who puts more **** into the air. I''ve got a trickle of water going through the unit that keeps the dust down and all old paint drops straight down - for recovery onto a tarp, if you like. My blast media is food grade bicarb of soda - same thing that you put in the fridge, but processed to flow like sugar. When you''re done, you "gas off" the surface and any that hits the ground with citric acid solution (made from orange peels), it bubbles, releases CO2, and goes to neutral vs. the quite basic bicarb powder. You CAN blow a hole through a hull if you don''t know what you''re doing, but you can also take paint off one layer at a time. It''s all in tuning the blast pressures, which, for, say, gelcoat, tend in the 50 to 55 psi range. Good thing I tried it out on a dinghy first. At 85 psi she goes right through the glass. Oh yeah, by mid day we skipped wearing the Tyvek suit. Too damn hot this far south of the Mason/Kittery line. Pretty neat. KW
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook