SailNet Community - View Single Post - Protecting your Awlgrip topsides in the winter
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
The challenge with the shrinkwrap over the lifelines, is a good snow build up or storm wind can take down the stanchions. I lost all four gate stanchions and bases two years ago, not clear which cause.

I built a deck tent last year, by taking a 40' plastic tarp, laying it over a ridge pole, then cutting the edges to just reach the deck. I then had the edges hemmed and added grommets. The end result looked a lot like your cover, but was re-useable and secured inside of the lifelines.

just another way of doing it.
Not at my boat yard! These guys are Maine Yankees. First straping is bent along the profile at the tops of the lifelines and affixed to the bow pulpit and stern pushpit. These full length stringers are then tied together port to starboard near or at each stanchion so the stanchions can not bend or compress even under an extreme load.

The guys at my yard install covers on every boat this way. It's a pain to step over the "tie rods", under the cover, but in 12 years at this yard I've never once, even with HUGE snow loads, had a problem..

I'll try and snap a photo sometime this week of the inside of the cover..

I cropped a photo to show the "tie rods". In this photo you can see the "tie rods" and the longitudinal stringers. Ignore the angle it makes it seem strange but they are tied together within about 6" of each stanchion and also tied to the ridge pole supports so they can't buckle..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-16-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook