SailNet Community - View Single Post - Women's opinion on Boat design
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I think sailing, as far as accommodations are concerns, are in the same category as most outdoor recreational activities; Camping, Hiking, RV, Sailboat, Powerboats, etc. When compared to normal household living, most people view it as a drastic step down ( we sailors view it as a step up). As with anything, there are compromises and sacrifices in all outdoor living. Some are small, while others are significant. Of course this is all in the eye of the beholder.
When we introduce this wonderful activity/lifestyle to outsiders for the first time, it behoves us all to see it through the eyes of our guest. I try to anticipate those concerns they might have up front. While doing it, I try to inject a little humor into it, eg, " A prison cell has more space than this!"
Like first impressions, a great boating experience the first time out will ensure the guest will return. Of course this is especially important if that guest happens to be a woman and the lonely sailor would like to share future sunsets!
With all that said, I have a mini checklist that I go through with each new guest before we set sail. It is both a safety list, as well as how thing work down below. As far as a dressing area, I too like a little privacy, so I always have an area in the boat where that can happen. Most of the time it is in one of the cabins. If it means hanging a small curtain somewhere, so be it. If I am happy, everyone is happy. If my guest are happy, I am really happy. It is those small attention to details that will make everyone glad to have the opportunity to sail. It is a cheap price to pay for sharing sunrises and sunsets. Capt Blye boat's, like I assume on Valiente's boat, will generally be a lonely boat, unless he finds Admiral Ms Blye.
Melissa Renee
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook