SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sensible Cruising
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
I hate to jump into this one but I do want to complain about the lack of support for otherwise functional equipment. TDW's unit would work well with a new pilot wheel.

We suffered the loss of the mounting bracket for our Autohelm 3000 last season. My 3 year old decided to stand on the control unit and it broke the plastic mount. Raymarine did not have any nor did anybody they knew of. I called about 15 shops they ortheir shops recommended. I was quoted big $$$$ by several machine shops to make a new one. I know it is old but it works fine and will last a lot longer with our shorter seasons in the cold north.

Why not stock a few spares?

On the other hand my Datamarine knot meter seemed to be reading funny and when I contacted them they said no problem, try this and if it doesn't work we will turn it around ASAP. What they said to try is flipping the toggle between distance and speed. See little fingers mentioned above, I still feel stupid for that one but the difference in the two company's commitment to their product is night and day. I would buy more new stuff from Datamarine but not Raymarine because they do not back their products adequately.