SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Water Heater

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  camaraderie 
#1 ·
I'm considering installing a water heater system,
www.acplantic.com/pd-hydronic-d4.php is the web site and discription of the unit. I have a 1974 33 Morgan O/I, and being we are from northern climates, warmth is important, but also to try and keep the complete boat warm. Was wondering has anyone had any experience with this type of system, or any knowledge of some does and don'ts

#6 · (Edited)
#10 ·
It is a water-based heater, not a water heater.... big difference... :) It uses water as a heating medium, similar to many baseboard radiators in older houses. :)

#13 ·
Yes, it's a hydronic water (space) heater!

Artfuldodger:

Yes, you are looking at a hydronic type, diesel-fired heater. This amounts to the equivalent of a boiler in a house - that is, it uses a diesel fire to heat water, which then is piped (usually via hoses) to your domestic water heater, and also can be piped to small radiators (usually with a small 12 V fan behind them) in order to heat your cabin, head, vee berth, etc.

I am considering one of these for my boat as well. Another maker is Webasto.
http://www.navstore.com/webasto.aspx

The unit that you are looking at is made by Espar, and these are used not only for boats, but big rig trucks, in order to heat the sleeper cabin as well as to keep the diesel engine warm when shut down overnight. Sometimes you can get better prices on these units via a truck supply company vs. the always-more-money "marine" version (same thing)!
Any of these units will require a separate fuel supply pump (taking suction from your main engine diesel tank), and a small exhaust line (insulated, corrugated stainless steel) usually leading to a through fitting in the boat's transom.
Good luck, and let us know how your project turns out!
Happy sailing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.