SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ranger 33 1977 - any opinions?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003

JDAM is on a distinguished road
Ranger 33 1977 - any opinions?

I have owned a 73 tall rig for the past 18 years which we''ve raced and cruised extensively. My first Ranger was the last 23 tall rig built -hull number 739.

Our 33 has been extensively upgraded through the years, including adjustable jib leads, self tailing winches, backstay adjuster, inboard blade track,coarse and fine mainsheet system on modern traveler track, and a complete inventory of purpose built sails as I hate roller furlers. We also have a modified rudder. All thru hulls were replaced and the bottom is burnished VC ofshore

The boat is a pleasure to sail, and will usually be in the hunt, if not the ''Alpha'' boat in the local PHRF fleet. I am not allowed to bring home any more trophies as there is no more room in the den. We have enjoyed alot of success on the race course -not because I''m a good sailor, but because the boat sails well under the rating in a variety of conditions. It is very important when racing this boat to keep her under control, and change jibs as required. We rarely need the extra sail area of the 150 and typically race with our 140% headsail.

Unlike Jeff, I find the boat goes upwind faster and higher than any other similarly rated boat. We doextremly well upwind and reaching in all condiions. Again, the right jib is critical, as the mast is stiff and not really suited to depowering as with a fractional rig. Our main is cut a little flat and it pays off as the wind builds.

We have not had any structural problems, refered to, but did lose the boom in an offshore race in 60kts of wind. The original boom section was undersized.

I have great confidence in our boat (one competed and won its division in the trans pac) and love the sailing qualities. .. Not the greatest for cruising due to the 9.7 beam. I would highly recommend the R33.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook