SailNet Community - View Single Post - Budget Cruising/Bluewater Cruising
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
A GPS requires batteries. It is something else to fail. Given the minimum amount of space, money, and other saftey gear, I elected to take it off of the mandatory list.

The truth is that you can get a handeld lat/lon gps very inexpensively. However, what if it fails offshore? You have a backup? Backups start costing money. What if you got swamped?

I do not want this to turn into another sextant thread. I carry one on my boat, but I am not one of the people that advocates it either. I feel a solid gps and backup(s) are the way to go... but I am not budget minded. I am thinking bare minimum.

Would you still opt out of the GPS in place of a... Cape Dory 25, for example??

Thoughts?

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook