SailNet Community - View Single Post - How should I tow a dinghy?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008
Beneteau 440

gilsurf is on a distinguished road
I disagree with the do not tow your dink post. Sure, the best bet is the stern garage on the mega yachts. But, since we do not live that life... in the VI, you rarely see a sailboat without a dink behind. And, if you do, it is most likely on davits. Neither is the best scenario. For us, we tow a 12' caribe RIB with a 15 HP 2 stroke. It is a heavy beast. Even though we use a polypro line, we have joined the ranks of those who have wrapped the dink painter on their prop. We have seen 30 knots and 10' seas and she survived... but my nerves did not and no, it was not planned.

The key seems to be a long tow line. 100' is used by others I know. Also, make sure the motor is tied on. My neighbor looked back and saw his motor was gone. When he stopped, he saw it was dangling 3 feet below the surface on a line. He had not secured the clamp screws with zip ties or a lock. Or, if it may be rough, remove the motor.

Our 12 footer will even sit upright on our foredeck, straddling the mast push pit using fenders for chocks.

many ways to get the sports car to town...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook