SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Dink, Looking at Tohatsu 3.5
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
New Dink, Looking at Tohatsu 3.5

HAHA! The Sapper has made a steal this week. No, not literally. The marina chandlery (Tidewater Havre de Grace) here is downsizing the store. In doing so they are selling gear on the cheap like crazy. Almost everything is at a minimum 40% off. I'm in there all the time, mostly because i live there and like to shoot the breeze with the workers.

So there I am flipping through the Achilles brochure minding my own when one of the guys says, "In the market for a dink?' I ask if they are on sale too, and they are. Soooooo, it takes me all of about 20 seconds to decide that I'll take that brand spanking new Achilles LSI-88 off of their hands for $890 after taxes (normally $1800 before taxes). Not a hard decision to make.

Now I'm stuck with the task of getting some power behind this puppy. The manf. recommends a 4HP, but I can't justify that extra .5HP for an extra 12 pounds, particularly when it'll be yours truly lugging that thing up onto the stern rail all the time. I'm NOT rigging a crane either.

After scanning around a bit, I've decided that a Tohatsu 3.5 looks pretty good to me. I like the price, weight, and simplicity of the motor. I've downloaded the manual in pdf format and looked it over, looks good to me. Now what I need from you Sailnetters and AFOCs is REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE. Tell me what you like AND dislike about the Tohatsu 3.5. If you have a similar motor tell me about it too. PLEASE DON"T TELL ME ABOUT A 6 OR 8 HP MOTOR. I'm not looking to break any speed records and I'm not driving a hydrofoil. This is a grocery getter.

So please, let me know real world pluses and minuses about the engine or one very similar. Many thanks