SailNet Community - View Single Post - Am turning 50 and need to prove to the world Im not an old fart ...yet
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008

sailortonyb is on a distinguished road
The first thing you need to do to prove you are not an old fart is lose the gold chains and the sports car. They are a dead giveaway.
Now back to your trip. ....
The Catalina 30 is a great boat for single handing. I have done a few of what I call 'long' solo trips. To me long is defined as 800 to 1000 miles round trip. They were all on the ICW in the Gulf of Mex. Did both the inside and outside routes.
AS someone said earlier ....look into AT&T Wireless or Verizon Wireless internet. I have had both and still use Verizon. Worth every penny.
Next, I would seriously consider a HAM radio. Look into the Mariners net on 14.300 MHz. Also they post you on Shiptrak.org. Every one on land will always know where you are.
Before I left, i made lazy jacks and also removed the wall drop down table and installed a pedestal mounted table that will drop down into a bed. I built a small bench seat against the bulkhead to give me a 'U" shaped table. Inside the bench seat I added two more house batteries and an inverter.
Made other small mods also.

I was 55 at the time I made my first long solo trip. Had about 6 years of sporadic sailing experience at the time.

Have a blast

Tony B
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook