SailNet Community - View Single Post - A quote from Mr. Perry, (from SA)
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
A quote from Mr. Perry, (from SA)

"Today a client may walk in the door and ask for a "classic" type design. I'll smile and rub my hands together. Then the client will add, in passing "Oh yes, I want a small gen set and A/C and a big double berth aft and 300' of chain and a pop up TV in the salon and a shower stall and 6'9" headroom and a 75hp aux, and room to stow a dinghy on deck and 200 gallons of water and 100 gallons of fuel and 100 gallons of holding". So I will have the choice of complying or going on unemployment. It seems the only reasonable response to that kind of design outline is to say "And what color would you like it Boss?" and then do my best to salvage what pride I can in the final design. Actaully its a lot of fun. Often times the most challenging requirements lead to the most interesting designs. Compromise does not have to be a negative term."

A true designer, a true spirit, a gem for our time.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook