SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Waxing Topsides and Hull

8K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  newuser 
#1 ·
I got a price of $550 to wax the topsides and hull of my two year old 33'' Beneteau. The guy said that the topsides required a two step process. First step was to remove the oxidation build up with some kind of abrasive pad (I think he said it was miracle 1000) and then apply the wax.
Does this sound right? And how could I do a professional quality job myself? What tools and materials would I need?
Thanks.
George

#3 ·
1. Invest in a good professional buffer $75

2. A bottle of "Liquid Ebony" at an auto paint store. $8 This is an ultrafine compound that they use for buffing out clear coat on fine autos. This will take off any oxidation and marks leaving a clean shine.

3. 2 coats of "Colinite Fleet Wax" $14 follow directions.

It will take about 12 hours to do the job correctly.

#4 ·
I''ve always been an avid do it yourself kind of guy. I just hate to pay someone to do something I can do myself! But I''ve learned the hard way, that compounding and waxing your hull while it''s in a slip is really a LOT of HARD work!
Don''t know how much oxidization you might have, or how strong you are, but if it is pretty dull, it will require a lot of work in an awkward position to get the fiberglass shining again. If it isn''t shining, you will not get a satisfactory job by waxing over a poorly prepared surface.

My suggestion is to pay someone for compounding and waxing the hull. Doing the cabin and deck is pretty easy and I would do that myself.

A few months ago I had my hull done (Islander 36), for $300. I thought it was reasonable considering how much work is involved. I did the cabin, cockpit and deck.

Once you get it shining again, schedule a wax application at least once a year...six months would be even better. It isn''t hard to keep the waxed finish looking good once you get on top of it.

Fairwinds,
Jim

#5 ·
IF the boat is only 2 years old you really should have neither an oxidation problem nor a lack of shine. Compounding is fine but it is an abrasive process. For the past several years I have used a product called Poliglow (www.poliglowproducts.com, i think.) Unlike wax which does not take any finesse, it takes some time and effort to put on the 5 or so coats of the product needed. That being said, it lasts ALOT longer than wax and, after the first time, you only need 2-3 coats a year in maintenance. Good luck.

#6 ·
Practical Sailor did a review on various waxes a few years ago. I believe it appeared in the 6/1/94 issue. Powerboat Reports also had an article (probably the same one as the two periodicals are published by the same outfit) in 1994 which has made it to the web, see: http://www.greatcove.org/read_boat_wax.htm

Collinite Fleetwax paste came out on top. I use Fleetwax 885 paste which holds up for at least a year. Collinite makes several other products which are not necessarily as highly rated as 885.

With regard to cleaners, see the April 1991 and April 1995 issues of Practical Sailor. Both said it was tough to beat Fantastik which is as good as, and less expensive than, other cleaners.

I wax my boat annually. The first step is to use Fantastik and lots of paper towels to get off as much dirt as possible (if you have running water available you can get some dirt off first with soapy water and a brush, but that''s not essential -- most of the dirt won''t wash off). Then, I use a fiberglass rubbing compound and rags to clean any stubborn spots or minor scratches. Then more Fantastik and paper towels. Once the hull is completely clean, I apply the Collinite wax per directions (i.e. apply with moist rag, then when it''s partially dry, buff with a clean cloth).

Last year I bought a 8" power buffer but didn''t find it to be off that much help. The deck has too many curves, and its not easy to use on the hull when the boat is in the water.

It''s a lot of work on my 33 footer, but split it up over several nice sunny days and it''s pleasant work. I estimate it takes 8-10 hours of work per year.

#7 ·
Skip the wax and use a fiberglass restorer! You basically paint these on at the begininning and end of season - and it is impervious to weather and won''t wash off. Best decision I ever made - no more buffing, etc.

I use Poliglow. Website is:

http://www.poliglowproducts.com/

A kit will cost you about $100 bucks. Was written up in Practical Sailor as being one of the top brands.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.