SailNet Community - View Single Post - Epoxy on Carvel planking
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2001

crkelly is on a distinguished road
Epoxy on Carvel planking

Hi all,

I just purchased a 42'' carvel planked schooner. The planks are fir on oak frames. The frames are 2 1/2'' x 3 1/2" sawn ribbing. I should also mention that each rib was sistered during the original construction, so you could say the framing is actually 5" x 7". The planks are 6" wide, and 1 3/4'' thick. The survey has shown that roughly 25% of the port side and 50% of the starboard side of the hull below the waterline, should be replanked, due to teredo worms.

My question is this. I am considering repairing the planks that need to be replaced, and then giving the hull an epoxy coating from the waterline down. First, is this considered a sound practice, second, can I do just an epoxy coating, or do I need to fiberglass as well. I do realize that with an epoxy coating on the exterior, I''d need to be extra diligent about moisture on the interior.

Another question, is it reasonable to think that I can keep the bilge relativly dry too, or should I consider an exterior AND interior epoxy coating for at least the bilge. I really don''t want to replank the entire boat from the water line down and epoxy the inerior and exterior, mostly because I''m not sure how long it will take. If the repairs go relatively quickly, then it might make sense to take the extra time I guess.

Anyways, any thoughts would be helpful.

Chris Kelly and the Schooner Etain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook