SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboards and Dockage in General for Baby boomers
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Liveaboards and Dockage in General for Baby boomers

WC:

I''ll reply here since the thread may be of interest to other BB users and, after all, you''ve chosen to use the BB to seek your info so keeping the discussion here seems appropriate.

I''m not an expert on liveaboard slips in Florida but IME your conclusion - no on-going, affordable, decent liveaboard marinas are available in Florida - is wide of the mark. No doubt you have a bit of a problem re: dockage because you have a Cat...but that''s a dockage and not a liveaboard issue.

Here are some examples that leap to mind:
1. St. Pete Municipal Marina - liveaboards without limitation; located in the heart of a redeveloped down town area with free bus service, museums and parks a short walk away, concerts galore and even one of the Sail Expo shows nearby. While I can''t quote prices for you (don''t know the size of your cat), we recently rented a 46''x16'' slip for $304/month incl. tax. Had we been living aboard we would have paid an additional $115 or so. For that size slip, that seems reasonable to me - many basic amenities & services and an active liveaboard community.
2. Regatta Point and its competitor right across the Manatee River (Twin Dolphin), both of them allowing liveaboards, both located immediately adjacent to small down towns, and with multiple facilities on site. Cost about the same as #1 above.
3. The Cape Canaveral Barge Canal hosts several marinas with many liveaboards in residence. As of 2.5 years ago, pricing was comparable to #1 & #2 above. People there like the local ''flavor'', adjacent restaurants, etc. and there is an intensely active liveaboard community. (Haven''t been there is a while, but know folks who are still living aboard there).

I could go on, for just the immediate areas with which I''m familiar. Diamond 99 Marina in Rockledge, near Melbourne, the Titusville Marina (another municipal facility), and others in this Space Coast area who''s names I don''t know.

The trend you describe is certainly ongoing...but the dire consequences you describe don''t seem to exist yet.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook