SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downloadable PRINTABLE NOAA Charts
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
It gets curiouser and curiouser...

I have the NOAA Nautical Chart On-Line Viewer open in another browser tab. Chart 12285 is listed as "FOLIO SMALL-CRAFT CHART Potomac River-; District of Columbia" but when I click on it I get a page that says "Chart 12285 is not available."

In another window using Maptech Offshore Navigator Lite, which came in a book of charts for the northern Chesapeake, I opened 12285_8 POTOMAC RIVER ST CLEMENTS BAY.
On my desk I also have the NOAA printed chart collection:
FOLIO SMALL-CRAFT CHART 12285 Potomac River.

Comparing the Maptech and printed NOAA Folio with the files you converted to graphics I think I see the problem, and it is not yours.

The description for the "corrupted" file is:
"12285_18 POTOMAC RIVER ST CLEMENTS BAY MD INSET 7"

But inset 7 on the printed chart - which is indeed ST CLEMENTS BAY, is actually found both on the Maptech nav program file, and in your converted graphics as:
"12285_8 POTOMAC RIVER ST CLEMENTS BAY MD INSET 7"

Notice there is one digit difference: 12285_18 (wrong) vs 12285_8 (right)

In the Maptech Offshore Navigator Lite program it appears that file "18" is a collection of notes that are on the map, and which appear in a pop up window when you put the cursor over a "See Note" flag. While that file is important for use of the BSB files in an electronic chart viewer it is not relevant to viewing the charts as simple graphic files. Therefor I think you can delete #18 from your site.

When viewing as a graphic file, the notes that are on the charts can be found in the same location as on the actual paper charts, since your graphics are a straight copy. Now, #18 seems to be a little additional help for when the charts are viewed electronically so that you do not have to leave your location of interest in order to scroll around to find the relevant note.

I'm wriing this around 4AM so I hope it makes sense. Guess I'll find out when I get up.

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook