SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rebuild vs replace diesel engine
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys for all the input. Much appreciated.

Hellosailor, engine is freshwater cooled via keel pipes. No saltwater through the engine. Saltwater does cool the gearbox via a heat exchange then out through the exhaust, however this system is separate from the engine.

Billyruffin, your "do nothing" option is basically what I am planning on doing for the next two to three years. The replace /rebuild is one option that may come up after that.

Know one has commented on the number of engine hours. My understanding is that engine hours as opposed to years is a better estimate of engine life, which is the main issue I had with the article. I have often read that you would expect 5,000 to 8,000 hours from a diesel engine before you would expect a major overhaul. What I am thinking (hoping?) is that a detailed examination of the engine shows no major problems / issues. In that scenario I believe reinstalling the engine would make sense, as the engine would still have 40-60% life left.

However, if the detailed examination showed major problems then yes a new engine would make sense.

PS, just reading some of the posts in "Theory of fibreglass blisters" phew!

Last edited by Ilenart; 02-22-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook