SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice Planning my first Long Distance Cruise
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008

gclayton is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the great input. It will help me weigh my options depending on crew or singlehanding. It appears the most difficult choice will be between Block Island and Cape May. are there any suitable harbors on the outside of LI. I know Shinnicook has a bridge but I have only sailed it inside. Anything suitable a bit south around Fire Island?

I will be gettting the paper charts and guides but you cant beat local knowledge.

My only schedule will be about 6 months long so I can travel as the weather or spirit moves me.

Cam, my anchor is a 35 lb CQR with 50 foot chain and 150' nylon. I also have a 15 lb Danforth and a 25 lb CQR backup. With that I still hope to avoid any season end hurricanes. Sails are 3 Main, 150 jenny on furler and spinniker. I will be sure to get skipper Bobs guide.

Only 4 feet of snow here in New Hampshire with only 10 more inches tonight... spring must be right around the corner!!!!

"Nothing on land prepares you for the scale of the Sea.
It's principle dimensions lie beyond the muscle of language to gather it in."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook