SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard or inboard?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I sail out of Buzzards Bay, in Massachusetts.

Hmm... Well, I've had the boat for two seasons now, having bought her in April of 2006. I'm very happy with my boat, and put a lot of thought into what I was looking for in a boat before I bought mine. I've sailed on both monohulls and multihulls, but decided to buy a trimaran for quite a few reasons. The reasons I decided on a trimaran are:
  • Speed—higher performance than monohulls generally
  • Comfort—sail flatter, with less heeling, and more comfortable in terms of motion
  • Shallow draft—significantly less than monohulls
  • Trailerable—it's tough to find a boat that can do 60 MPH to windward

As for why I chose a Telstar over a different trimaran, it has a lot to do with design features and value.

The Telstar 28 has almost as much cabin space as a Corsair C31, and certainly more than a Corsair C28, which doesn't even have standing headroom for me, yet, the Telstar 28 is less expensive than a comparably equipped Corsair 28. The Dragonflies were even more expensive. BTW, the more expensive Corsair doesn't include a true marine head, but only a porta pottie and a camping stove, rather tha a full marine stove and galley with sink.

The mast-raising system on the Telstar beats that of the Corsair for several reasons. First, the mast can be lowered or raised in about 15 minutes by a single person on the Telstar 28, using a genoa sheet winch and a single mast-raising control line. This can be done on the trailer or on the water, unlike the Corsair system which relies on the trailer winch. The mast raising process on the Telstar also can be stopped anywhere in-between fully raised and fully lowered and reversed at any point with no problems. That isn't the case with the Corsair system--in fact, I've seen quite a few Corsairs that needed repairs from dropping the mast.

The Telstar's amas can be retracted and still allow the boat to be moved under power or stored in a single-width marina slip. The Telstar ama retraction system doesn't require any tools. Most Corsairs are kept on mooring balls, since the amas folding system requires tools and bolts--which can easily be dropped overboard during the ama retracting or deployment process--and the amas, when retracted submerge the topsides and the hull-deck join of the amas, requiring the topsides and deck of the ama be painted with bottom paint if the boat is to be kept with the amas retracted. I don't believe it would all that wise to move a Corsair with the amas retracted.

The ama design on the Telstar also keeps the boat a much drier boat during sailing, since it has an in-board ama deck that tends to deflect the spray off the amas from hitting the main hull.

BTW, the folding ama design on the Dragonflies avoids many of the problems the Corsairs have, but extends the length of the boat by several feet, so makes using a single-width slip more expensive than it would be otherwise, since most slips charge by the effective LOA of the boat.

Are there things I'd change about the boat... sure...and I've changed most of them. I've added solar-powered ventilators, upgraded the ground tackle, upgraded the instruments to TackTick gear, installed a bridgedeck, and a few other things. This year, I'll probably be leading some of the lines aft.

BTW, there's a video on Youtube.com, which was taken last summer, when we were out in conditions that blew two or three boats off their moorings in Newport. The winds were gusting past 35 knots. She handles pretty well when it is blowing. I've added a GaleSail and a Jordan Series Drogue, but am planning on adding new hardpoints specifically designed for attaching the JSD this spring.

A couple of caveats about trimarans in general.
  • Most trimarans have significantly less stowage and cabin space than a monohull of the same LOA. This is actually much of the reason behind my building a bridgedeck into my Telstar's cockpit.
  • They will generally have less load carrying capability than a comparable length monohull and will be significantly more weight sensitive.
  • The amas, while having a lot of empty volume, really can't be used for storage of anything heavy, since that would adversely affect the boat's stability. However, fenders, lines, sails, and things like that can often be stored in them.
  • Most trimarans, due to the relatively small outboard, can actually go faster under sail than under power—for instance, with the 20 HP on my boat, I can cruise at about 5.5-6 knots, with WOT of about 7 knots. Under sail, I can sail at nine knots relatively easily...often under just genoa or main alone.
I hope this helps... if you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
Sailingdog, Thanks. Tell me about your tri, the things you like and dont like about it. Have you had luck with it her? What are some things I should think about before I buy a Tri? I grew up on a 33 foot abbott single hull, the boat handled the weather pretty nice when it got bad out how does yours handle in storms if you have been in any? And are you in New England?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-22-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook