SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where should I start?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Once you know how to sail

A bigger boat , to a point is arguably easier to sail ..IF you have the maneuvering room to do so..( And I did say sail not dock)

Every thing happens at a slower pace...However everything happens with much more power and force..and that is the basis most likely from the cautionary advice youve gotten so far...

It is more difficult to say, lay over a big boat , but death awaits improper downwind handling....

Take it slow, take it cautiously, avoid Gybing or getting more then off your quarter downwind and take out an instructor a few times like your planing and you will be amazed at how well you will be doing in a short time..

I personally feel that the older we get the more sense learning on a medium size boat make more sense..Old farts like myself would be hurt faster in a small very maneuverable learning platform then one of 30'...I just cant react that fast or duck and switch high sides that fast ( or low.. )anymore..

Finally...LUCKY YOU.....See God sill answers Prayer...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook