SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard or inboard?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, financing is available, but the pricing for my boat wouldn't make any sense, since PCI has revamped the way they price the boat. They used to offer a base boat and a deluxe boat, and most of the things I have were separate ala carte options. Now, they offer a deluxe version as the base model, since they never sold any of the barebones models AFAIK, and have bundled most of what I have as ala carte options into a single option package. From the last price list I saw on the Telstars, the boat cost: $89,500 with the following options:
  • Honda BF20 outboard
  • Venture Custom boat Trailer
  • Standard Mast--35'6" tall
  • Interior cushions in choice of color
  • Dacron Main and roller furling 150% Genoa on a Furlex 200S Roller Furler
  • Raymarine ST60+ Wind and Tridata
  • Raymarine ST1000+ tiller pilot
  • Plastimo 101 Contest Compass
  • Mast raising system
  • Head-mate RH90 marine head with holding tank
  • Tasman 2000 LP propane stove w/ broiler and 5 lb. Propane tank
  • Galley Sink with Whale Flipper pump faucet
  • Head Sink with Whale piston pump faucet
  • Freshwater tank--17 Gallon IIRC
  • Danforth Anchor with chain and nylon roder (13 lbs. IIRC)
  • Fenders and docklines
Some options include:
  • $4,500 -- Upgrade to Honda BF50 outboard
  • $2,800 -- Asym Spinnaker
  • $1,100 -- Cockpit Bimini
Of course, these prices are almost two years old, and have probably changed a bit.

To give you an idea of what the difference in size is, the Telstar 28's interior is almost as large as that of the Corsair C31. It has 6' of standing headroom through much of the cabin. The Corsair C28 has less than 5' of headroom from what I remember... and is very cramped compared to the Telstar.

I don't have a family, as I am a widower, but do sail with a large number of friends and relatives. My primary crew consists of three six-foot tall friends, and they don't have any issues with space on the boat.

One reason you're probably not seeing a lot of Telstar 28s on the used boat market is that they've only been on the market since late 2004, when the boat was introduced. The Corsairs have been in production a lot longer, and at a much higher volume, so quite a few of them are on the market at any time. The Corsairs are also far more racing oriented, the Telstar is focussed more on comfort and cruising.

I hope this helps.

* The options I put in italics are ones that aren't either available or standard on the Corsair C28 from what I remember.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-23-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook