SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard or inboard?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008

Siamese is on a distinguished road
I just got home from the Miami Boat show, and yeah, the Telstar 28's a rockin' boat. It's the first thing I wanted to see. My wife and I have a Catalina 309 and we're lovin' it, but maybe we'd have been happy with more speed and less room. Bottom line is that although there's less room on the Telstar, they've use the room intelligently. Cool boat.

Regarding inboard vs. outboard. Of course we're likin' our Yanmar in the Catalina. For the whole decade I sailed a 26 foot mono with a 10 horse on the back I was always lusting after a nice diesel inboard.

BUT...In those rare case where there was a problem with the engine, I could take it off the transom carry it to a first rate repair shop for a reasonably priced repair. If my beloved Yanmar has a problem, there's pretty much ONE place I can go for repairs, and I'm really no fan of this particular dealer.

And while the outboard, as Sailingdog says, has a small alternator and rather limited capacity, your cooling system, fitlers, charging sytem, etc. are all in ONE convenient little package. Not a bad deal.

Number one advantage of an outboard: STANDING HEADROOM IN THE ENGINE ROOM!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook