SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fule overflow rate
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Omatako wrote:
"Of what importance is it? All the fuel the engine doesn't need goes back"
-------

In general I agree, but it would be neat to know exactly how much fuel the engine was buring at a given moment, rather than the average consumption like I get when I measure what's pumped into my day tank after running the the engine for a few hours.

The other day I inquired about a 'fuel flow gauge' that claims to show the current rate of fuel consumption in GPH as well as a cumulative number of gallons consumed. Apparently, this system uses the difference between the flow rate of the fuel lift pump and overflow ratio of the engine's injector pump -- at least that's what I presume given the questions their website wanted answered before they would give me a model number and price.

They've got such fuel flow gauges in aircraft and I guess this company has tried to adapt them to diesel engines. The measurement of fuel flow in a gasoline engine is much simplier because everything that goes down the fuel line and into the carburator is consumed (or wasted). Calculating instantaneous fuel consumption of a diesel engine is, I guess, a tad more complicated because of this overflow issue.

------

Manny, I have no idea what the ratio is, but it's not insignificant. I got a leak in the fuel overflow line once and it made a real mess.

Last edited by billyruffn; 02-23-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook