SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail reefing dilemma
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2003

aflanigan is on a distinguished road
Mainsail reefing dilemma

I am wrestling with how to provide reefing capability on my Helms 25. Apparently it originally had roll around the boom reefing. Aside from the lack of any crank to spin the boom or mechanism to lock the boom to prevent rotation (the only equipment that came with the boat that clued me to the roller reefing feature was a boomclaw and the fact that the sail has no reef points and was stowed rolled around the boom by previous owners), the other problem I will face if I decide to try and make this work is the well known drawbacks of this type of reefing system: No outhaul capability, poor sail shape due to boom sag. I am considering going with a harken "single line" jiffy reefing system, meaning I will have to add reef points, as a reasonable compromise instead of trying to get the "roll around the boom" reefing to work. Would one set of reef points combined with a CDI roller reefing system on the head sail be a reasonable compromise affording fairly good flexibility in handling different wind conditions in an inshore/coastal cruiser? I''m 90 percent leaning towards the latter option, but would welcome anyone''s two cents to try and confirm my current opinion or talk me into making a 25 year old obsolete reefing system work. Feel free to respond here on the board, or in private to my email: aflanigan@comcast.net.

Thanks,

Allen Flanigan

Alexandria, VA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook