SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail reefing dilemma
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2003

aflanigan is on a distinguished road
Mainsail reefing dilemma

GordMay, how right you are. If I knew in advance when a reef would be needed I could strike the main and set a handkerchief. Hence the appeal of a system that will simply and reliably reef the main while retaining decent sail flatness and shape.

Maybe if I spent more time working overtime and less time on the boat, I could afford to pay a sailmaker to make these modifications for me. But that would be somewhat counterproductive, eh? ; > )

I am already thinking of how I can use the Harken 430 system to reef at two locations if needed. I''ll set it up for a lower set of reef points, and have a carbine hook or similar quick release shackle at the "clew" reef point so that I can thread the reefing line through it when I want to reef at the upper (2nd) set of points. Up front, I''ll try putting a hook with an eye on it threaded on the reefing line, which can be engaged with the upper tack reef point. This SHOULD give me the ability to properly tension the tack and clew at the upper set of points while not interfering with the normal "single line" operation for reefing to the lower points.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook