SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living Aboard in NY 2...
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Culinary...you're kind of in no man's land since all the close north shore marinas are in "gold coast" country where there are waiting lists for slips and no "livaboard riff-raff" allowed. You might find some marinas in Brooklyn willing to deal with you but that is a long drive to not so great sailing grounds.
I don't think ANY marina on the north shore is going to tell you that they accept liveaboards...though my guess is a few do. If you are determined to live aboard, I would suggest getting a car and driving around to all the north shore harbors and marinas and having face to face discussions with the owners. I would forget Manhasset and Port Washington Harbors...and focus on Glen Cove, Oyster Bay, Northport and (if you're up for a long commute) Port Jefferson. Marinas.com can give you the marinas and phone numbers and directions to the various sites in these towns...or pick up a copy of Dozier's ICW Guide Northern edition.