SailNet Community - View Single Post - Long Island Sound Visit
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2003

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Long Island Sound Visit

Just a word of warning the sailing in the sound can involve ALOT of motoring as the wind - especially in the Western Sound - can be quite light. I would suggest that you cut the number of days in the sound down and head up to Newport. Its about an 8 hour sail from Mystic and it is about a 4 hour sail from Newport to Block Island. For destinations in the Sound I would check out the Thimble Islands east of New Haven, CT as well as Shelter Island, NY at the end of Long Island. You probably have too much draft for Cockles Harbor on Shelter Island but you would be fine in Deering Harbor. Mystic is a good stop; lots to do, places to eat, etc. Stonington, CT is also a nice town but is more relaxed than Mystic. I live in NYC and we keep our 35'' sailboat in Newport. Best of luck. Do not attempt the cut into New Harbor on Block Island at night or in the fog unless you are VERY familar with the area. New Harbor has a tendency to be quite crowded during the summer especially on holiday weekends. Would not suggest going to New Harbor given the powerboater propulation, lack of depth, and small anchoring area. Good luck.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook