SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard motor for dingy
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2003

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Outboard motor for dingy

While i understand your weight concerns, I would question putting a 4-5hp outboard on a dinghy as heavy as a 10'' RIB. (Perhaps you have a rib with a composite hull or something.) Having owned 3 Honda outboards, a Yamaha, and a Nissan as well as a cruis n'' carry! I would agree with the comments above. Honda engines, in my opinion, are the best of the bunch in terms of reliability and cleanliness given their 4 stroke engines. Of course the tradeoff for this is weight. I believe my 8hp Honda weighed upwards of 80 lbs and my 10hp more than that. (As an aside, the weights that manufactures list on their specs page are often alot lighter than the actually weight. I know it sounds ridiculous but you may want to consider bring a scale with you to the dealer to confirm weight.) The Yamaha is a bit lighter but is a 2 stroke engine and, as such, you need to deal with the mixing of oil and gas and the environmental impact. I believe the Nissan is the lightest of the bunch, 2 stroke engine, etc. They make the engine with an aluminum block I believe; hence the weight savings. I use a Nissan 9.8 on my 10'' Zodiac with HP floor. The 2 strokes are quite simple engines and, if taken care of properly, you can fix most problems yourself. My Nissan has been quite reliable with just an annual changing of spark plugs, the zinc, fuel filter, and lower unit oil. Just flush it out with fresh water once in a while. You might want to consider a product called easylift motor tote from www.clevel.com in Rowaton CT; it goes on your outboard and make it ALOT easier to mount and pull off the outboard from the dingy. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook