SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rebuild 2GM vs repower with 2YM15 or 2YM20
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
I have definitely read alot of the repower threads. I realize that in many cases, when changing between different manufactures / models, there is often alot of extra work in adding / modifying the engine beds, etc.

In my case, if I change to the newer 2YM15, the current engine mount placement matches that of the new engine. Also, alot of the other measurements are similar, would not require a shorter shaft, and probably not any prop change - as the current 2GM is 13hP, and so is the new 2YM15.
So it would be an "easy" repower. I also have full access to crawl under the cokpit, to run the new wiring.

But, if I am going to repower, It may be worth the extra $1100 engine cost, as well as a new / used prop / shaft, to get the added HP of the new 3YM20.
Even this new engine matches the current engine beds, in width, and the front mounts are in the correct position. I would have to move the rear mounts back 3", but as I have good access, that is not a bad job.

I will have to check on the recommended exhaust hose size, with the larger 3YM20!!

John Pollard - I talked to my brother tonight, and he is going to take an oil sample for analysis, and pull the head, and oil pan off to have a look.

Faster - If I need a new shaft, I would have to get one. However, if it just needs to be shorter, my retired "prop guy" friend can likely mofify the currnet one to work fine. I may have to eat the cost of a new / used prop, but maybe nothing fancy for a year or two.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook