SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please tell me it is worth it???
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003

bdkorth is on a distinguished road
Please tell me it is worth it???

I have posted occcasional messages over the last year. My wife and I live in Idaho and got the dream to cruise a year ago in Tahiti. We since have self taught ourselves some about sailing, first bought a 22'' sailboat, and then bought a 25'' Catalina. We haven''t been able to sail since November 2002. The lake is frozen. We went to San Diego and got both of us bareboat certified, and my 10 year old boy coastal cruising certified. We began controlling spending, which was a pinch for us. We always tended to be the type of people that see it and just buy it. Our big house (our dream house) just sold. We have to be out of it by the end of April. We now are going to buy a house 1/2 the size to live in until we can go cruising. Our dream is to get our big boat, sell the catalina while we coastal cruise the big one. We then have to save up the kitty to go.

Anyway.... Right now we are beginning to feel like all we are doing is losing things, our dream house, our funds into training, not getting to buy the things we normally would have, and not even going to the movies! We both have this dream to cruise before we get old enough to change our minds. All of this trouble and loss of material things at this point is actually worth it, isn''t it? We want to circumnavigate together, to spend all our time together out in the world, rather than just watch it on tv.

So, any words of encouragement? Hope so. Times are trying right now. Anyway, thanks, there are no real sailors, cruisers specifically to talk to in Idaho. Everybody around here thinks we are crazy.

Thanks again....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook