SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knock Downs
Thread: Knock Downs
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008

rhedrick is on a distinguished road
Camaraderie, Sailingdog, CharlieCobra

Great response. Thanks guys - this is the first time I have used the SailNet for "chatting". FYI - I personally built a Westsail 32 (20 tons), Rhino, from a bare hull (yeah, I've heard them all "wetsnail", "seaslug") twice, this last time launching 3/06, with new stick, all new rigging and 56 Yanmar, etc., etc. Plan to sail into the sunset and beyond, south by southwest, out of Dana Point, CA March 25, 2009. I suddenly find myself needing hard opinions although I have chartered as skipper out of Raiaetea (sp), Bora Bora, BVI's. A friend sailed to the south pacific and mentioned the squalls that hit in the middle of the night. He was on a broad reach and just tried to keep the boat at that angle - alone on watch, very little or no time to douse sails. As a theory discussion, if little time to react, assuming double reefed main, storm staysail, I thought maybe assuming a beam reach versus broad or close reach would be best - although hull is broadside to wind, sails would seem to me to be in better position (less reactive area) - she's a really stiff boat. Any thoughts? If had the time, I would do as suggested: the sails down, motor on and heading into wind (I want to be conservative - nothing to prove). Finally, in expecting really nasty weather, I seem to want to adopt the Lynn and Larry Pardey tactic - heave too, deploy sea anchor of bow and ride about 50 degrees of the wind. Good tactic in your opinion? Thanks again. Rick Hedrick.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook