SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knock Downs
Thread: Knock Downs
View Single Post
post #45 of Old 02-28-2008
rhedrick

Camaraderie, Sailingdog, CharlieCobra

Great response. Thanks guys - this is the first time I have used the SailNet for "chatting". FYI - I personally built a Westsail 32 (20 tons), Rhino, from a bare hull (yeah, I've heard them all "wetsnail", "seaslug") twice, this last time launching 3/06, with new stick, all new rigging and 56 Yanmar, etc., etc. Plan to sail into the sunset and beyond, south by southwest, out of Dana Point, CA March 25, 2009. I suddenly find myself needing hard opinions although I have chartered as skipper out of Raiaetea (sp), Bora Bora, BVI's. A friend sailed to the south pacific and mentioned the squalls that hit in the middle of the night. He was on a broad reach and just tried to keep the boat at that angle - alone on watch, very little or no time to douse sails. As a theory discussion, if little time to react, assuming double reefed main, storm staysail, I thought maybe assuming a beam reach versus broad or close reach would be best - although hull is broadside to wind, sails would seem to me to be in better position (less reactive area) - she's a really stiff boat. Any thoughts? If had the time, I would do as suggested: the sails down, motor on and heading into wind (I want to be conservative - nothing to prove). Finally, in expecting really nasty weather, I seem to want to adopt the Lynn and Larry Pardey tactic - heave too, deploy sea anchor of bow and ride about 50 degrees of the wind. Good tactic in your opinion? Thanks again. Rick Hedrick.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome