SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wiring Diagram Review
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
A couple of thoughts,
Bilge pump (if equipped with a float switch) hard wired to one battery (house) with a suitable fuse, no switch, no distribution wired to float switch.
As is wired with switch for 'manual' operation
- that is safer, otherwise you have to be onboard or remember to turn it on.

You show no charger, inverter, etc.. so I assume none. I would add at least a charger - saves diesel and time.
You show no 'auxiliary' or spare breakers. Figure on two at least - you will want a GPS and or chartplotter or 12V outlet - you will want a 12v with at least a 10amp capacity, adding now is simpler than wishing later. Put a 12v outlet at a minimum in the cockpit (think searchlight and / or GPS).
For 30 bucks or so, add at least a DIGITAL voltmeter in there (don't go cheap with analog, you will regret it) - switchable by battery so you can get a 'gross' estimate on the state of charge by voltage. Add in a few more bucks and shunt and you can add a amp meter and work out rates of discharge for various loads - always very useful.

Making life real simple - rather than wire in a cabin fan - get one with a 12v plug, add outlets in the galley, salon and cabin - move the fan where you want it. Do the same with a light because flashlight batteries are always dead when you need them most.

If that's a Visio file, send me the .vsd please, email address PM'd.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook