SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please tell me it is worth it???
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2003

bdkorth is on a distinguished road
Please tell me it is worth it???

I am so glad that I posted my question. I keep telling my wife that this is the equivalent of a dark stormy night at see, and that bright sunny days and warm shorelines await on the other side of the storm.

The thought about moving to the coast is one that we have mulled over. When we were in San Diego we felt that we were truly in our element. Boats everywhere! We wouldn''t drive anywhere without taking the binoculars to look at the boats and identify what they were on the water. Just to be able to look out to sea and dream with the wind in our hair was wonderful. We are trying to look into that. Instead of purchasing a house immediately, we are going to rent, save our money (rather than putting it into a down payment on a house) and keep our options open. We have been looking at jobs on the coast, both Washington, as well as Oregon and California. We feel compelled to stay on the West Coast, as that is where all our family is, and it might be easier to wean ourselves of them over time in preparation for cruising. Be cheaper to drive home for Christmas than to fly.

I am fortunate enough to have a wife that is truly sharing this dream with me, rather than just going along with my dream. On my occasional down day, where I ask why the heck are we doing this, she is there to let me know. She is great.

One problem that makes this feel like a backslide, is that my business that I have been receiving my pay from is about to fold. My partner made some poor financial decisions that are going to drag him into bankruptcy. Fortunately for me, the bankruptcy won''t influence my credit or finances, except for losing a job. It changed the feeling of selling the house from one of jubilation at being so much closer to our dream, to one that feels more like desperation, feels alot like a backslide. Due to the loss of the job, I can''t afford to move to an area and spend much time searching for a job. Frustrating.

Anyway,... Enough of that. I appreciate very much the input given to me on this message board. It truly does help immensely. We will make this happen, we will look back on the dark days from the deck of our boat and know that we paid our dues to get there. No guilt.

Thanks again, much appreciated,
Brad
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook