SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhedrick View Post
Boy, you guys are brutal. Of course I use the safety spades - that is why I mentioned "marine" store when buying connectors - I don't go to the local five and dime. So, I stand by my method. Hey guys, I built my boat from a bare hull. I have sailed it extensively and have never had a problem with any electrical install. And vibration, ok, ok, you get vibration but how many times do you fall off a wave?

My original response was to the posting regarding the problem with the gap on a heat shrink, which might have let moisture in - I offered a suggestion that might help and which works. I am outa here.
Not trying to be brutal to you at all but just trying to clarify things for the hundreds of folks that will come across this thread in the future who don't know the difference between a captive a and a non captive spade. As in the spades discussion I figured you used captive spades building your Westsail but others may not know the difference.

I'm only critical about these issues because I've spent considerable time in many bilges, and seen tens to hundreds of dangerous installation issues including fractured wires and melted wire jackets due to poor connections and not just with electrical but dangerous plumbing and mechanical installs too.

SD, myself and a few others here take safety and the advice relating to it seriously and always try and clarify on the side of safety that's all.... Please don't take it personally we did not mean to offend at all..

P.S. Try to find an AMP or FTZ distributor and you'll pay a full third what you pay for Ancor connectors at WM or most chandleries.

For FTZ it's best to track down their local rep and they can tell you who sells them in the area..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook