SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moody 33 MK I
Thread: Moody 33 MK I
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kregar View Post
I have stumbled on a boat that I have taken a liking to... A 1976 Moody 33 MK I.. Not a lot in the US, but looking for opinions or experiences..

Thanks,

kregar
In general Moodys are pretty good boats but '76 is getting on in years. I'm in the process of looking to upgrade and am considering mid '80s. To be frank even that is getting on in years. I like them but some of the later ones apparently had certain build quality problems. Thats by the by.

First up, is this the one in Mendon ? If it is then you need to be damn careful as what it is going to cost you to put the thing back into commission. Complete new rig and sails will not be cheap and presumably the interior needs a fair amount of work although apart from wiring, plumbing and mechanical everything else is pretty much up to you. Engine is unknown quantity. You will need to satisfy yourself that the purchase price plus commissioning costs will make the effort worthwhile.

Unless its the building project that gets you off or unless you have done this before make very very certain that you are not biting off more than you can chew. I've done the old buy a fixer upper with the intention to do most of the work myself and I can tell you it always costs much more than you can guess and takes far longer to do the work.

Finally, you will want to screw the buying price down down down.

Good Luck.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook