SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living aboard? Where to start?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2003

mlc101 is on a distinguished road
Living aboard? Where to start?

My wife and I are in our 50''s now. When we were in our 20''s, we had a 30'' Offshore-capable sailboat (a fiberglass, S&S design, "Yankee 30"). Raced to Bermuda and did serious coastwise cruising. The boat was capable and ready. Spartan--no refrigeration, motor was always suspect, no TV, no entertainment radio, no air conditioning. Just lots of good sails, VHF, ham radios. Well found.
For whatever reasons, my wife and I never did the long term (greater than 3 weeks) cruise. Career, kids, "obligations" of whatever kind. No way to know what life would have been like had we decided to go.
Now, 3 decades later, the 3 kids are out of the house, but it somehow doesn''t get any easier. Roots and tentacles get deeper and more firmly entrenched as life goes on. There is always a further "reason" to stay--weddings, grandkids, parents--and seems like never a defining event to trigger a departure. The dream is still there, but it does not get easier to implement as time goes on.
Now we have a 43'' sailboat, are equipping it for long term cruising, and hopefully will actually leave the dock someday for that cruise. Or maybe not.

The only advice I can give, is advice given often by others. Go. Go now. Find a good offshore boat you can afford. If you have money for a year, then go for it. You will not regret going. You will only regret staying.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook