SailNet Community - View Single Post - Long Island Sound Visit
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2003

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
Long Island Sound Visit

I would avoid Block Island during the week of the 4th AT ALL COSTS! The salt pond is tremendously crowded during then, and they raft 4 to 5 deep at all the marinas. And getting a town mooring during then is impossible. If a breeze kicks up, or a storm runs through, there will be dragging boats everywhere! Millions of dollars of damage, and it''s always some fool with a 37'' Sport Fish on 2:1 scope with a 15lb lunch hook out.

What a shame, because I have been going to "The Block" for almost 40 years and it is one of my favorite places. Steer clear during "The Season" and enjoy it''s charms when it is not crowded.

The western end of LI Sound is notorious for it''s lack of wind, and it''s famous "5 O''Clock Lull" Try and stay east of middle ground. The Thimbles make a nice waypoint, but can also get crowded during the summer weekends. If you need to "Go West" in the Sound, the Norwalk Islands are an excellent place to stop. Stay near the outer islands, and the channel leaves little room for error. Eaton''s Neck on the LI side is neat also, as long as you don''t draw over 6''.

Just remember that the local nickname for LIS is "The New York River". Lots of commercial traffic to watch out for. Barges, Tankers, and Container ships ply those waters quite regularly.

Gee, wonder why I sail there!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook