SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Time Buying Advice
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008

DoomDahDoomDoom is on a distinguished road
First Time Buying Advice

I know there are about 1001 similar posts and I've been reading them, I just thought since I finally signed up for a user account that I should actually post something

I am shopping the internet for my first boat. I'm located in the Toronto area so I don't want to go too far from lake Ontario in my search. Looking for some sort of balance between racer/cruiser (who isn't?). My price range is definitely below $10k - as in, I can't spend more than $10k total for boat/transportation/upgrades/etc... this summer. I guess first of all, I want to make sure I haven't overlooked any models that might fit. So far I've been looking at:

Kirby 25
Capri 25
Both fast. Niether with standing headroom. K25 class association seems pretty strong in this area though with several regattas each year. I also considered the J24, but it has reportedly even less below than the above two, and always seems to be priced higher.

Niagara 26
C&C 27
Mike Hoyt seems to pop alot on these forums mentioning the N26 and it does look pretty good (the OB version anyway). A buddy of mine just bought a C&C27 for about $6k last fall in NY state - though finding another one at that price range has been proving difficult.

S2 27
S2 7.9
S2 ?
I see several of these for sale around here, but have never actually seen an "S2" up close. I guess they are American-made. What's the build quality on these?

Express 30
Laser 28
Both of these are kinda the ultimate dream racer/cruiser boat, but I haven't seen anything listed for under $20k, so unless somebody knows of a government auction coming up...

Ultimately, I'd love something that I could go FAST in and race competively (either OD or PHRF) but still be capable of say a cruise in the Thousand Islands for a couple weeks at a time.... What other models should I be considering? What questions need to be asked?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook