SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pearson 26 OD

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Any insight into the Pearson 26 One Design?

I''ve been looking for good S. Florida coastal cruisers with a little bit of performance. Jeff_H - thanks, you have been very helpful so far with your comments on various other boats I''ve mentioned.

Though I have a wish list of ideal boats for my cruising area, desired boat size, and budget, I have been painfully unable to find them available for sale. (Basic requirements are: Seaworthy, inboard, fun to sail, shallow draft, spacious cockpit, 6-0 standing headroom below, boom configuration such that standing and gybing are not mutually exclusive, and no traveller which cuts the cockpit in half)

I have seen a Peason 26'' OD (nee Weekender) which looks quite interesting. I like the large cockpit and the boom and traveller layout. The ''double'' transom with separate engine well is quite nice. Of course the boat has an outboard engine which I''ve heard is not ideal for my area, but this is one of the hardest requirements to meet. Below decks is 5''8'''' - not ideal, but not a J-24 either. Draft is stated to be 4'' - though not a CB/LK, it''s relatively shallow for a fixed keel - any comments?

As for sea-worthiness and ''fun to sail'', I look to you. Anyone with experience in or knowledge of this boat is kindly asked to respond.

Thank you very much.

See less See more
#2 ·
Headroom in the P26OD is more like 5'' 0". 5''8" is the headroom in the standard P26. The OD is not what you would call a stand-up cabin. But I think it is a great layout and if I were in the market for another P26 I would be looking for an OD (or weekender which is basically the same). The cockpit is a lot bigger and visibility is greatly improved. Real useable space below is still very good. The P26 is a very seaworthy boat and pretty good performer compared to it''s peers. More info here:
http://dan.pfeiffer.net/p26/

If you want headroom, inboard, seaworthy, 26 feet, look for something like a Cape Dory 25D.

Dan Pfeiffer
dan@pfeiffer.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.