SailNet Community - View Single Post - Made it back alive!
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by millyman01 View Post
Took my mac 22 and a how to sail book to the Fla keys. Sailed from Key Largo to almost Key West. A couple questions. I thought putting an anchor down at the front of the boat would point the nose into the wind. My boat seems to stay sideways and drag the anchor? Also on a day that was pretty windy I was nervous about putting the main up. Wasn't sure if the boat would tip over or not. But I just couldn't seem to reef the main shorter with the wind going. It would make the loose sail flap too hard. Ended up blown onto an island. The natives loved it. Tried the jib alone because if the boat tipped I could just let go of the rope but with just the jib I could't sail into the wind? And it also flapped so hard it ripped. Advice please!
What ? I'm presuming that is just poorly worded. If I get your drift (no pun intended) you are either not letting out enough scope or your anchor is way undersized. As a general rule if you have an all chain rode then you need a minimum of three times the depth of the water at high tide. If part chain part rope then you are up to probably five times the depth, maybe more. If all rope then get yourself some chain. Mac is a pretty lightweight boat so part chain part rope should suffice I guess but I prefer all chain up to a couple of hundred feet then rope if needs be. That means carrying 40 odd metres of chain which on a Mac may be too much of a weight penalty but I'd reckon ten metres of chain would get you by.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook