SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on Liveaboard/Cruiser?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Thoughts on Liveaboard/Cruiser?

You have listed three boats that are really not very good sailors at either the high end or low end of the wind range. The Formosas are poster children for poor build quality. These boats are below a "speed and performance" threshold or more to the point are a below a threshold where sailing ability is so low that actual sailing becomes a such rarity that you would probably spend fewer hours motoring in a trawler yacht.

I do not mean this as a put down but I keep experiencing this tendancy of people looking for liveaboard boats who have absolutely no interest in voyaging under sail. They want to go voyaging, but the sailing part is of no interest to them. You give up a lot of space and comfort if you are buying a sailboat to go voyaging but then choose a boat that does not sail well enough that you will actually use the boat as a sailboat.

If you are interested in comfort, and by that you mean motion comfort as well as room down below, then look for boats with less of a rolly motion.

I don''t know what your sailing experience is and why you are focusing on a sailboat instead of a power boat, but you seem to be focusing on shiver me timbers/''Captain Ron'' sort of romantic yachts rather than real sailboats that actually make sense as sailboats. If you want to buy a boat to go voyaging under sail, then buy a boat designed to sail well(which would preclude these). In the long run you will be happier. If you really do not care how much time you spend motoring then look for a nice trawler yacht.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook