SailNet Community - View Single Post - Video: Simon Sails, Part Deux
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Simon-

Wasn't the first post... but blowing the doors off of a bendytoy isn't that impressive,... and getting dusted by a catamaran isn't that unusual. Granted, upwind, you'll probably beat the catamaran... but on a reach or run, it'll dust you.
Dog, It was on a reach, doing 7.6 knots against a 2 knot current, that we were keeping up with the Catamaran(he was sheeted in more than us though). Heading south, during the first part of the Floyd music, was crossing the slot. We were close hauled there. But as you sail closer to the City and the Bay bridge, the wind changes and begins to wrap around from the side and behind. We did about 6.6 knots through the slot and then it dropped a bit when we got close to the Bay bridge. Winds gusted up to about 17 knots (in the slot)for a while. We then eased the sheets out, flattened the boat out, and picked up speed to 7 and over, as the wind was off the beam. At that point we were keeping up with the Cat. Then, you can see when she got to the Bridge, they put up the spinnaker, and that was all she wrote. I was pretty surprised at how well the 22k lb Ericson did.

Vaya con Dios
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook