SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alberg 30 liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008

Oldsalt_1942 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
No, I think they'd shoot themselves before living on a houseboat...
I've lived aboard boats for a great deal of my adult life as a captain of yachts and small commecrial craft. And living on a houseboat isn't like being trailer trash or banished to some outer ring in nautical hell.

I've never been into the sail/power debate. They each have a lot to offer, especially if you're getting paid to play on them. Let me tell you, living on a 65' Hatteras for three years wasn't shabby.

I was skipper of an 85' ketch on the French Riviera and the Costa del Sol for another three years and sailing across the Atlantic with wine served at the evening meal every night was pretty special as well.

I loved the three years and three trips on the ICW from Cape Cod to Ft. Lauderdale that I had on a 47' Grebe. She creaked and moaned in a pleasant manner when underway at cruising speed of 10 mph.

I lived for 6 years on a 26' sailboat and enjoyed every minute of it.

But I also cherish the fond memories I had of the two years I lived on my shanty boat on Bayou Bienvenue just outside of New Orleans back in the early 80s. It (it didn't qualify to be a "she") was essentially a shack on a pair of 36' pontoons made out of well casing and it cost me all of $1,500.00. Not one day of being mate on a 176' Feadship in Nassau, Bahamas, which were fantastic, was better than a day I spent in my shack on the Bayou.

Juet remember, the view of Paradise is exactly the same whether your on a 26' sailboat or a 176' goldplater.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook