SailNet Community - View Single Post - You need to go!!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Giu, they really only have control over the halyard and outhaul. novangs or cunninghams.
I got to go in the first heat we were just weight. but its not like being weight on a modern boat.
On the way to the start we had a power boat along side and they ajusted the amount of balast fo the wind and the crew weight. To say the boat was tender would be a gross understatement.
With the pry boards you have to get out on it quick when you tack or the boat will sink.
this is exactly what happened to the boat I raced on in the first heat.
In the second heat. (You only get to race in one heat then they Changed out the non Bahamian crew.) We placed second in our heat and should have been first but there was some miscommunication on the course.
In the second heat the boat that I was on and still ruetting for flipped and sank. I asked the captain about it later and he said that he gave the order to tack and the new crew just sat there. they didnt move to the other side and the boat broached and sank. No big deal because They were only in 8 ft of water. so they dove down let the rig go and got the lead out of the boat and refloated her.
The boat in the pics is the one Joni raced on they won therir heat and finished second overall. Joni got to accept the big check on behalf of the crew of Smashie.

We all got waxed by the Jr female national champion. on Termite.
and if that wasn't bad enough we raced in the cruisers regatta the next day and finnished in the middle of the pack and She whipped us all in an A class. Called Tida Wave
Wich is a bigger version of the same boats in my photos.
My Appologies for the spelling but her name sounds like Naory(nay ori)
She is only 14 I think she will be an olympian one day.
The other cool thing about the race is that we started from Anchor talk about fun on the starting line!!!!

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.

Last edited by soul searcher; 03-06-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook