SailNet Community - View Single Post - Irwin - Bluewater Capable???
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
My 1971 Irwin 38 was solid on the outside and cheap on the inside. It had great classic lines (hard to believe, right?) with a nice overhang stern. And the glass was thick. Over an inch.

I have to dig out a picture becuase she is not the charter type Irwin everyone is talking about.

As soon as I get to 10 posts, I will post a pic!
You probably had the Irwin Citation 38 which was a sleek and cruiser/racer IOR influenced design which was a completely different boat than the I38cc.

I think that the discussion of glass thickness is largely misplaced. (Though not totally). No Irwin has 1/4" glass throughout and no Irwin has 1" glass throughout. Different thicknesses were appropriate for different stress areas in the hull as is dfferent roving...or chopper gun spraying. Much more important is the quality of the layup and materials used. With an encapsulated keel...you need quite a bit of thickness there for both protection and for support where it merges with the hull form.